Monday 17 October 2011

Public marriage proposals

I've always had a bit of an issue with public marriage proposals. I know some people believe that if you love someone you should be able to shout it off the rooftops but everyone does not operate the same way.

I'm all for public displays of affection between two people who are truely and honestly committed to each other. I love watching couples (especially old married ones) being touchy-feely in public and very obviously not caring what anyone else thinks because they're just too absorbed in each other! It's an awesome sight.

But somehow I want the moment when I agree to spend the rest of my life with that special someone to be OUR moment alone. It's that sacred to me. I don't want to share it with a bunch of other people, no matter how important those other people are to me. I'd actually like to be able to announce the joy of our engagement to other people.

Maybe it's only because I'm such a private person that I think this way. Still, I'd like to think that if the love of my life went down on one knee in a crowded but relatively quiet restaurant and asked me to marry him, I would focus my eyes and mind on him alone and the love we share and be able to smoothly say "Yes" with a great big smile instead of bashing him over the head repeatedly with my handbag for making me the centre of attention or fainting dead away in sheer embarrassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment